Have you consumed too much cannabis? Here's some things you need to know.
- You’re not going to die. It is impossible to overdose on cannabis. You may feel unwell, but you cannot die, no matter how much cannabis you consumed.
- You’re going to feel better soon. If you smoked too much it’ll probably take 2-4 hours to come down. If you ate, swallowed, or drank cannabis it’ll take 6-10 hours to come down.
- There’s nothing that will speed up the process of metabolizing cannabis, so don’t go searching for purported ‘cures’ online.
- The best way to deal with having consumed too much cannabis is to find a comfortable and safe space and just chill out. Enjoy the feelings if you’re able. There’s nothing wrong with you; you’ve simply had too much cannabis.
- Don't drive a car or do other dangerous activities right now. If you need to get somewhere safe, call a taxi or ride share service, or take public transit with someone you trust.
- If possible, tell a friend how you’re feeling and see if they can hang out with you. This isn’t because you’re in any sort of medical danger, but rather because it’s nice to have trusted people around.
- Consuming too much cannabis can lead to feelings of anxiety, nausea, dizziness, and paranoia. This is normal and not a sign of any problem with the cannabis. It is simply the body’s way of reacting to too much cannabis.
- Your cannabis wasn’t ‘spiked’. Rumours of cannabis being laced with other drugs are just that; rumours. All reported cases of cannabis being contaminated with Fentanyl or other opiates have failed to hold up under scrutiny. Some people add cannabis extracts or oils to their joints or bowls. If you smoked a joint rolled by someone else or a bowl packed by someone else, ask them if they added any kief, hash, or extracts to the cannabis. This may explain why you feel very high.
- You probably don’t need medical assistance, but if you’ve injured yourself while high, or are experiencing very rare things like hallucinations or other mental health issues, please call 911 or your local emergency number. Paramedics, doctors, and nurses will treat you. Again, most people who have consumed too much cannabis do not need any medical intervention, but if you do need help, don’t be afraid to call for help.
It can be scary to be unexpectedly too high, but you’re not in danger. Take a deep breath, find a safe space, and remind yourself that there was a cause to feeling like this and in a relatively short amount of time you’re going to feel like you normally do.